Pages

07 February 2015

Knowing God IS Life Eternal

"And this is eternal life: [it means] to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with, and understand) You, the only true and real God, and [likewise] to know Him, Jesus [as the] Christ (the Anointed One, the Messiah), Whom You have sent." ~John 17:3 AMP
Eternal life is to KNOW God.

God has been trying to tell me, over the last couple of weeks, that this whole process of coming unto Him, of finding salvation in Him, is a helluva lot easier (i.e. takes far fewer works!) than I ever thought . . . and that Jesus REALLY wasn't kidding when He says He clothes me in His righteousness.

Let's get this one thing absolutely straight: I am so so so imperfect.

I have SO many things to work on, so many little choices each day that I want to do differently tomorrow (and that I have tried to do differently so many "tomorrows" in the past, but still totally suck at), and yet I find myself receiving more and more. And the most significant thing that precedes the receipt of each new blessing from the Lord is learning something . . . simply learning something that opens my mind and heart such that God is allowed to move more freely in my life, to do things I never thought He could do.

This is mind-bending.

I'm not advocating a "do nothing" salvation. Not even CLOSE. Our God asks for the biggest and hardest things of all: our hearts, and our diligent efforts in obedience to His word.

And yet, the more I try to do so (and the more my understanding is expanded to see even in even more detail how much I fail, it seems!), the more He seems to give me, the more He seems to reach out and fill the weak and pathetic places where my desire is strong, but my flesh is so wholly inadequate.

Is this what it means, the salvation that Jesus offers?

Father God, you astound me. Jesus, You continually amaze me. I truly cannot grasp the wonder that is salvation through Yahweh, nor the depth and breadth and height and depth of the overflowing, overpowering, relentless love that You both offer me. Whatever You're doing, keep doing it, please! I feel like I'm failing, and yet, from what keeps happening in my life, You keep showing me, (over and over!!!), that I am succeeding beyond my wildest dreams. Is this really what You want? Is this really how it is supposed to go? This wonder in worshiping You, this honestly trying, this continual biffing it flat on my face, and this endless and relentless desire in my heart to please You? If so, it's YOURS, God. It's all Yours, forever and ever, in Jesus' name, I declare it!