Pages

20 February 2016

Called into Vulnerability

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over." Psalm 23:5 NKJV

This verse has been on my mind all day. The sheer brazenness of setting out a banquet while enemies look on is so scandalous, so incredibly powerful. God blesses us, and asks us to step into full vulnerability with Him, even as our enemies stand ready to cut us in pieces.

It's the presence of God that makes us powerful--that keeps our enemies from destroying us. It's the presence of God that feeds and nourishes, sustains and makes strong. God truly does set a table before us, even when our enemies loom large all around, and asks us to sit down with Him and feast. And if we take Him up on that, He will be our rearguard and our defense. He will fill us with His Spirit (anoint our heads with oil), and fill us to overflowing so we become rivers of living water to revive the parched earth all around us.

Jesus, thank you for all you are, all you offer, and all you are willing to do for your children. I love you; and I can't get over how lavishly you respond when I come to you in my perpetual mortal need. You rejoice in giving to your children; you revel in filling our weakness, or neediness, from your unending supply. You are the answer to every problem, the guide through every briar patch and bog in life. You are good, gracious, merciful, kind, loving and true. And I'm just astounded at how you keep on pouring out more, and more, and more. I can be SURE of you, and for that I will love you forever and ever. Thank you, Jesus. So much. So much!!! Amen.