Pages

28 March 2015

Let's talk about prayer.

Here's what I've learned, over the last couple of years:

1) Language does NOT matter. All that matters is what's in your heart . . . and even then, we worship a big, strong, mighty God. He can take whatever it is that we're struggling over, and hear it all. He has big shoulders, and will listen to, will hear, anything we need to unload on Him. After what He went through to win the victory for us, I can guarantee that nothing we throw at Him in our extremity will do damage to His love for us--no matter how rough the language might be we choose to express it. All He cares about is that we're COMING to Him.

2) Stand on the Word. You'll see me, in my prayers offered here, that I declare things I know to be true about God's nature and character, as well as things that He has promised.

"This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him." (1 John 5:14-15)

When God says something, He means it. Linear time has no hold on Him, and so His words, His decrees, are continually before Him, and exist throughout eternity as part of the truth and beauty of His existence, part of the great I AM. When we pray in agreement with what He has said in scripture about our situation, we pray in agreement with His will, His desires. That doesn't guarantee that our hearts are in alignment such that we can immediately receive that for which we pray, but I can guarantee you that if you keep on praying, you will receive what you need, and He will reveal more to you.

3) Praise. Tell God how good He is, praise Him lavishly for all He does for us, confess His beautiful Name, glorify Him in prayer, lift Him up high as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

"Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise" (Psalms 100:4)

4) Declare. Declare Him your God, your Savior, whatever role you need Him most to play. When He says He wants to heal, believe it and declare healing. If you're not quite sure the Holy Spirit has told you to pray for healing, you can stand on the Word of God, and have faith in His own declarations that He is waiting, ready, to heal us:

"O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?
 Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me.
 Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning. I am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name." (3 Nephi 9:13-15)

Promises of healing are rife in scripture: D&C 112:13, 3 Ne 18:32, John 3:17, 3 Nephi 17:7, and more. He isn't called Jehovah Rapha without cause. Jesus Christ IS healing. That's His desire--to save, heal, and restore us in all things.

What things have you learned about prayer that have revolutionized the way you interact with the Living God?