Pages

28 March 2015

We Should Bless One Another Freely

Whatever house you enter, first say, Peace be to this household! [Freedom from all the distresses that result from sin be with this family]. And if anyone [worthy] of peace and blessedness is there, the peace and blessedness you wish shall come upon him; but if not, it shall come back to you. And stay on in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not keep moving from house to house. ~Luke 10:5-7 AMP
 Lately my focus has been on the "how to" of Luke ten; the four things Christ told the seventy to do in order to prepare people to meet Him. This first part of the instructions, though, really stood out to me this morning. Jesus told the seventy to bless those in "whatever house" they entered. Not whatever house seemed like it was worthy, or whichever members of the household seemed to be willing to receive. He then explained that those worthy of receiving the blessing would receive it, and those who weren't, wouldn't.

When we bless, it's not up to us to decide who we should bless and who we shouldn't. Jesus said to offer blessing to every house they entered, and those who are able to receive it, will. Those who are not able, won't feel a thing. I feel like the same thing is true with all kinds of blessing--not just saying "God bless you", but in all of the miracles that follow them that believe, including healing.

Lord, teach me better how to bless those around me, both in word and in deed, for I want to be a blessing to those I love best, and to all the world. Give me the words to say, the things to do, and lead me more surely in the ways I should go. In Jesus' name, amen.