Pages

03 June 2013

Let Bitter be Sweet

3 June 2013

Scripture: Proverbs 27:7 NLT
A person who is full refuses the honey, but even bitter food tastes sweet to the hungry. (HCSB says "trample on a honeycomb", and NIV& KJV says "loathes honey from the comb". I love YouVersion's Bible app.) ;o)

Observation: We humans are fickle--so often allowing a change in circumstance to alter our priorities. In some cases, it's a good thing. Taking this proverb literally: eating when we're full is so hard on our bodies. But figuratively speaking, this proverb points up a damning practice. (Damning simply because it stops us, as a dam stops water.) God, and His correction, tastes so sweet so me when I'm broken . . . after a while, when the crisis abates, and my human nature tries to reassert itself and acclimate to the "new normal", how eager will I be for His guidance, for the honey of His word?

Application: Needs are allowed, so often, to determine or heavily influence priorities. How do I stay vitally aware of my need for God, so deeply and with such detail, that His movements in my life are always treasured, no matter how bitter they taste? I might not know exactly, right now, but He does. :o) And I'll pray for the ability to retain in remembrance my need for Him.

Prayer: Lord, help me always remember my need for you. Guide me daily, teach me in Your Spirit, and show me every day, every moment my heart or mind is turned toward You, how life is so much better with You! I don't ever want to slide into complacence with You, in Jesus' name, amen.

 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.

 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.

~ Mosiah 4:11-12