Pages

10 June 2013

Godly Parenting

Scripture: Ephesians 6:4, NLT: "Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord."

I also really like the AMP version of this verse: "Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord."

Observation: Good parenting is *Godly* parenting. It comes from Him, through the Holy Spirit and His Word, and those around us who speak into our lives. (Logos and rhema. See? She can be taught! lol ;o)

Application: I have read a pretty nice stack of parenting books, from Ferber's cry-it-out to the most radical of attachment parenting. And, while I was able to learn some good & helpful things (nearly all of which came through the obvious love some of the authors had for babies and children), the love of Jesus and the tutelage of the Holy Spirit have been the most powerful and transformative.

Prayer: Father, please teach me YOUR ways in my home. Your love alone has revolutionized my family and healed so many things that have been broken for so, so long. I LOVE watching You move in our lives, and the healing and joy you shed so generously over us. Please, show me how to interact with my children, how to teach and gently train them, as You would in my place. Thank You SO MUCH for my family--and for Your love that makes it such a joyous journey. I praise You and rejoice in the glorious light of Your love! :o) In Jesus' holy name, Amen!