Pages

07 June 2013

Life Underwater

Scripture: Ephesians 3:16-29 NLT

"I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit.  Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him.  Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.  And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully.  Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."

Observation: There is a richness, a fullness, a glory, a rest, a safety and an all-encompassing nature in God's love.  It's like the ocean . . . vast beyond comprehension, powerful beyond measure. But, unlike water, we SHOULD breathe in deep the love of God!

Application: How often have (and do!) I fight against God's love? I struggle in the tempest of life, come near death for lack of water, scorch myself in the sun, when all I really need to do is stop struggling and let the incredible love of God encompass me.  My natural inclination is struggle--to go it alone on the surface, puny as I am, with sure death as my reward--but, once again God's wisdom is 180 degrees from the natural.  God's oceanic love is the richest air I've ever breathed; the currents the gentlest and safest rest I've ever had.  He takes me where I need to go, shows me what I need to see, and lightens the weight of this world on my shoulders.

God absolutely wants diligence--to eschew laziness, idolatry, and all other forms of wickedness.  To follow His Spirit wherever it takes me--and that often means hard work.  But the diligence is a love offering; a gratitude offering; a peace offering full of joy and light.  I can't earn anything from Him.  I qualify through the state of my heart . . . and all that I do, I do for Him, because I love Him, and trust Him.  Because I have felt the outpouring of His love wash over me and literally change me from the inside out.

Prayer: Lord, help me always to learn Your ways--to trust Your wisdom over my own.  I want to rely on You wholly--and see Paul's prayer made manifest in my life, that I may experience Your love, be made complete, and sink my roots deep into Your love.  Amen!