Pages

13 June 2013

Believe God . . . and test ALL others against His Spirit.

S: 1 Kings 13:16-18, Philippians 3:15-16, 18

“No, I cannot,” he [the man of God] replied. “I am not allowed to eat or drink anything here in this place. For the Lord gave me this command: ‘You must not eat or drink anything while you are there, and do not return to Judah by the same way you came.’” But the old prophet answered,
“I am a prophet, too, just as you are. And an angel gave me this command from the Lord : ‘Bring him home with you so he can have something to eat and drink.’” But the old man was lying to him. (1 Kings 13:16-18 NLT)

Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you. But we must hold on to the progress we have already made. For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ. (Philippians 3:15, 16, 18 NLT)

O & A: When God commands, trust NO ONE who contradicts Him. Only God can release you from an instruction He has given--but even then, God doesn't change His mind. I'm reminded of something Pastor Matt Wakefield said: if God does something once, it's His nature. 

And then, the passage in Philippians comes in to make sure I don't get over-zealous in that principle:

"Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you.  But we must hold on to the progress we have already made. For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ."

I should never cause strife in following the former. I should never allow differences of opinion to steal the light & spiritual strength God has poured out on me. God will show each person the truth they are willing to receive--and I need to look to Him, and Him alone!, to find the resolution of differing opinions, no matter the topic. 

P: Father, I pray for wisdom in Your Spirit, to walk in love and peace and patience with all those around me. Guard my tongue and heart, so I can just love and serve where You will. I praise You for your generous provisioning and tender loving care in my life, and can't wait to draw ever nearer to You! In Jesus' name, Amen. :-)