Pages

16 June 2013

You're Doing It Wrong!

Scripture 1 Kings 18:37-38

"Oh, LORD, answer me! Answer me so these people will know that you, O LORD, are God and that you have brought them back to yourself." Immediately the fire of teh LORD flashed down from heaven and burned up the young bull, the wood, the stones, and the dust.  It even licked up all the water in the trench!"

Observation:

Elijah "did it all wrong" when it came to the sacrifice.  It was a burnt offering--and yet he doused it over and over.  Then, not only did the Lord make up for that, and accept his sacrifice, but the fire from heaven consumed the altar stones, the dust, and removed every last drop of the dousing.

Application:

We don't have to discipline ourselves into perfection before we can meet God where He is.  When we turn our hearts to Him, He will search us out of our wildernesses.  When we turn from our sin toward Him, (which is only spiritual pivoting! Even the weakest of the weak can do that!) He will come find us, no matter WHERE we have hidden, and cleanse us from our sins, change us into new creatures, and make us holy.  Nothing we do makes us holy.  It's only God.

Prayer:

Father, please, always come find me when I'm lost.  Guide me out of my wandering in the weeds, and continually cleanse me with Your Love and Your Spirit.  Remind me early to turn to You, so I never have to be lost again.  In my Savior's name, amen.